Introduction to Philosophy
Study Cycle: 1
ECTS credit: 5
Lecturer(s): doc. dr. Cerkovnik Borut, doc. dr. Hribar Sorčan Valentina, doc. dr. Petek Nina, izr. prof. dr. Strahovnik Vojko, red. prof. dr. Božovič Miran, red. prof. dr. Komel Dean, red. prof. dr. Lozar Mrevlje Janko, red. prof. dr. Ošlaj Borut, red. prof. dr. Šimenc Marjan, red. prof. dr. Zore Franc
1. Raising and questioning the meaning of the question what is philosophy, and reflecting on the consequences of the answers provided. Relationship between philosophy and other sciences, its relationship with theology and arts throughout history and today. Philosophy and interdisciplinarity.
2. Presentation of main historical epochs and strands of philosophy and the topoi of philosophizing.
3. Panoramic overview of various types of philosophizing.
4. Main issues of philosophy. Basic concepts and philosophemes. The question of truth, knowledge, action etc. Philosophical disciplines and possibilities of philosophical systematics.
5. The meaning of reading and interpreting philosophical texts, the meaning of critical thinking, philosophical dialogue and philosophical critique.
6. Styles of writing philosophical texts throughout history and today.