Language in Use II
Study Cycle: 1
Lecturer(s): asist. Gregorčič Kristina, doc. dr. Stubbs John Anthony, lekt. mag. Belak Mojca
• Understanding authentic texts of various types
• Acquiring superior taxonomic reading skills: analysis, evaluation, inferring
• Composing study notes;
• Understanding the reading process; self-reflection on one’s own reading abilities;
• Reading, analysis and evaluation of prose.
• Fairly lengthy composition – opinion essay;
• Peer evaluation;
• Use of sources;
• Film, book reviews, etc;
• Short creative writing forms.
• Distilling specific information from texts with general themes; understanding the general sense of a text;
• Taking notes while listening;
• Evaluation of aural texts; recognizing the speaker’s intent;
• Active listening and interaction; body language.
• Registers of spoken language;
• Ability to fluidly relate information orally;
• A short oral presentation on a topic of one’s choice;
• The fundamentals of public speaking;
• Refinement in relating information when speaking publicly.
Course material covers the following topics:
Show Business, Reality shows
Crime and Punishment
Health / Body - sports, diets, medicine, drugs
Clothes, fashion, fur
Love, Weddings, Marriages
Topics selected by teachers and students.
Watching selected films from contemporary film production, attending debating evenings and other events which make learning more varied and interesting, and contribute to attaining teaching objectives.