Teaching Practice in History
Study Cycle: 2
Lecturer(s): red. prof. dr. Trškan Danijela
Teaching practice is carried out with teachers of history in elementary and secondary schools in Slovenia, with which the Department of History at the Faculty of Arts has signed the agreement of cooperation.
During teaching practice at elementary and also at secondary school students have to:
- observe 6 hours of lessons (at least 4 hours of history lessons, two hours of other social sciences lessons);
- perform 8 hours of independent teaching (of which at least four with different teaching content);
- have 16 hours of additional activities at the school and outside the school (e.g. conversation with mentor after observations of history lessons, before the student independent teaching and after his/her independent teaching; conversation with school management, school counselling service, the librarian or other teachers; field trips, class periods, conferences, meetings of teachers; help with exhibition planning, field trips and field work; on-call duty, supervision, individual lessons for children with special needs, observations of school clubs and other extra-curricular activities, revision of homework, preparing written assignments, additional hours of teaching observations, additional independent teaching, etc.);
- have at least 120 hours of work at home (preparing lesson plans, preparing for teaching, completing a practice diary…);
- manage an electronic practice diary (30 hours).
Teaching practice at both schools includes 360 hours of student work.
For teaching practice students:
- have a group preparation for practice, where they obtain appropriate documentation and instructions (10 hours);
- have individual consultations (10 hours);
- have a group evaluation and individual presentation upon completed practice at the faculty (10 hours).
The entire teaching practice includes 390 hours of student work.