Lecturer(s): doc. dr. Hribar Sorčan Valentina, doc. dr. Zabel Blaž
1. Introduction: Formation of aesthetics as philosophical discipline, the aesthetic as concept, questioning of discipline and criticism of the aesthetic concept; current discussions in aesthetics and art.
2. Formation of aesthetics as philosophical discipline: French philosophy of taste (Charles Batteux), English empiricism and philosophy of taset, philosophy of Leibniz and formation of aesthetics (Baumgarten).
3. From sensuality to beauty and art: Kant's critique of judgement, Scgelling's philosophy of art, Hegel's lectures on aesthetics.
4. Philosophy of culture and art: Art as institution (French Academy's debates, David's reforms, art and industry, art for art's sake and religion of art), avant-garde and avant-gardes (theories of avant-garde – Poggioli, Bürger, Flaker, Groys, Šuvakovic), institutional theory of art (Danto, Dickie), modernism and postmodernism (Lyotard, Habermas, Baudrillard), feminist critique of aesthetics and feminist art, post-colonial critique of aesthetics and of European/Western concept of art.
5. Partings and dilemmas in contemporary aesthetics: Aesthetic (neo)Darwinism and positivism, new media – virtual reality . art of the internet, artwork as commodity and aestheticization of commodities, aesgthetics against art (Welsch, Kuspit, Kelly).