Canadian Cultural Module
Lecturer(s): doc. dr. Lazović Vesna, prof. dr. Blake Jason Frederick, prof. dr. Maver Igor
The course consists of 3 parts:
1. lectures A Survey of Canadian literature
2. seminars Canadian literature
3. tutorials Canadian society and culture
1. To become acquainted with the colonial period of Canadian history and its literature.
Thematic, genre and partly chronological treatment of 20th century literature with emphasis on the different critical evaluations and approaches.
The analysis and interpretation of individual selected literary works, including the multicultural/multiethnic and native Canadian oral/literary tradition.
Discussion of the most important literary authors from the Slovene Canadian community in Canada and the discussion of the diasporic literature in Canada.
2. This seminar will focus on the Canadian short story. The main focal points: the characteristics of the short story, specific aspects of the Canadian short story, reasons Canadian writers' success - especially female writers - in this genre. The main methodological approach will be "close reading.
3. A thorough introduction to various realms of Canadian culture (including language, history, multiculturalism, film, music and literature).